Another College for Women.

WORCESTER, Jan. 2, 1888. There is a good prospect of the establishment of a new college for women in Worcester with a foundation of at least $1,000,000. Mayor Winslow in his inaugural address to-day, advocated the purchase by the city of land for a public park on Main street, opposite Clark University, at a cost of $34,000, accompanying the recommendation with these remarks: "I can only say now that the prospect is bright for a very large increase of our educational facilities, and that, too, in behalf of a sex which has not always been favored with its full share. The city, as such, can do little legally, to aid any enterprise of this kind, however meritorious, but I understand the park's commission to be of the opinion that, if there is a likelihood of the establishment of a richly endowed college for women in close proximity to Clark University, Worcester should at least manifest its appreciative sense of such munificence by the ample provision of open grounds for exercise and recreation."

This paragraph in the mayor's address has been the subject of a great deal of speculation to day. It is learned that he was induced to recommend the purchase of the park by facts brought to his knowledge by the trustees of Clark University, which were substantially these: Nearly a year ago Rev. Eli Fay, D. D., of Los Angeles, Cal., made an offer to the American Unitarian Association through Rev. Edward Everett Hale, of Boston, to give $600,000 for the endowment of a college for women, to be located somewhere in Massachusetts. Dr. Fay's conditions were that the college should be a memorial of his wife, and should bear her name, and that the city or town where the college should be located should furnish land and buildings to the value of $400,000. The Unitarian Association put the matter in the hands of a committee of which Rev. James De Normandie and Rev. E. E. Hale of Boston were members. This committee has made investigations in several cities and towns, and has received offers of and in several quarters. It is understood persons in Cambridge have made a liberal offer, and that one incorporated institution in the eastern part of the state has offered to give its entire plant and turn it over to the trustees of the new institution. About six months ago Dr. Hale presented the matter to Mr. Clark and Senator Hoar of the trustees of the Clark University in this city. Two months ago, after considerable correspondence, the Clark University people made an offer to the committee representing Mr. Fay, which offer has been communicated to Mr. Fay with the committee's recommendation that he accept it. Just what this offer is cannot be ascertained. It is known, however, that it includes the gift of a suitable tract of land in the vicinity of Clark University.