Expenses at Yale.

Several important changes are to be made in the management of Yale University that will interest the patrons and friends of the institution. One of the changes will have the effect of materially increasing the revenues of the institution, and this will go into effect September, 1888, or at the beginning of the next collegiate year.

The tuition in the regular academic department will be $150, which is $10 more than formerly, except that in the Sheffield Scientific School it has been $150 each year for some years past.

The annual income of the University has always fallen below the actual yearly expenses, and it has been therefore impossible to make many needed improvements or advancement in instruction, and the corporation and faculty have been devising ways and means to increase the income. They, therefore, were unwillingly compelled to increase the rates of tuition. This course was decided on some time ago, and it was decided to increase the room rents of the dormitories.

RENTS TO BE RAISED.The income from the new dormitory buildings-the Durfee, Farnam and Lawrence-has been only about five per cent of their cost, and in the case of the Durfee it is only about four per cent, not counting the insurance, care and repair on the buildings. There was a difference of opinion among the faculty and management whether the change in room rents should be made at once, or whether there should be a series of increases of rent extending over an indefinite period of time, and it was thought best to make the change all at once, and by this means increase the revenue about $4,700. The rents of some of the rooms have been slightly decreased, but the majority of them have been increased.

COLLEGIANS AND THEIR ROOMS.Some of the students are of the opinion that it will be just as cheap and fully as pleasant to rent rooms in boarding and private houses near the college. They think the increased price of, say $5 a week for an unfurnished room is pretty steep, and quite a number of them have signified their intention of giving up their rooms on the campus. They say they can procure any quantity of large and well-appointed rooms near the University for from $5 to $6 a week.

Hitherto the executive management of Yale have boasted that the expenses at Yale were as low as those of any college in the country. The increased expense to the student is estimated at $51, or about $1.37 a week, counting thirty-seven weeks to the collegiate year. It will not, however, affect those students who are assisted by the university, and they will still enjoy the same privileges.

Up to within a few years the students had a custom of selling their chances for a choice of rooms, and sometimes a wealthy student who preferred a favorite room did not hesitate to pay a bonus of $300 for a choice.

STUDENT POPULATION INCREASED.The summary in the new catalogue for the year 1888 shows that there are 1,245 students in Yale, distributed among the various departments as follows:- Graduate department, 69, academic, 614; Sheffield Scientific School, 291; Art School, 53; Divinity School, 117; Medical School, 26, and the Law School, 94. This makes an aggregate increase over last year of 111, of which nearly half is in the academic department and about twenty in the Sheffield Scientific School. The catalogue is the largest, most complete and conveniently arranged of any that has ever been issued by the university.- N. Y. Herald.