Meeting of the Boat Club.

The annual meeting of the H. U. B. C. took place last evening in Massachusetts Hall. The meeting opened with Mr. Trafford in the chair. After the reading and acceptance of the treasurer's report, which showed that the finances of the club were in a flourishing condition, the members proceeded to the election of officers for the ensuing year. Mr. Keyes, '89, was elected president by acclamation. With Mr. Keyes in the chair, the secretary read the minutes of the last meeting, after which Mr. Hutchinson was elected vice-president, Mr. Crehore secretary, and Mr. Dexter manager and treasurer.

The secretary then proceeded to the reading of a letter from the members of last year's graduate committee, in which the committee said that it deemed the re-election of a graduate governing board for the crew to be inadvisable, because, first, the control of the crew was taken from the hands of the undergraduates, to whom it belonged; and, secondly, by this removal of the responsibility the interest in the work and success of the crew was lessened. The committee deprecated the state of affairs last year when they felt as thought they lacked the moral support of the University in their work. The defeat of the crew was the inevitable result of a race between an eight of veterans, rowing a familiar stroke, and a new eight rowing the same stroke for the first time.

Our eight is, at present, in great need of a tank similar to that of Yale's. In it the men learn more quickly how to handle their oars and are more easily "coached." Then, also, a series of races in the fall of the year between two picked crews would be beneficial, the eight to be select from all the rowing men in college. These trial heats have been tried at Oxford and Cambridge with favorable results.

At the conclusion of the reading of the committee's letter, Mr. Brooks spoke briefly in the interest of Harvard's athletics. The blame, he said, for the defeat of our athletic teams was too apt to be put upon one man, whereas the responsibility of the success or non-success of any organization should be shared by the college. Lately there has been an undertone of discontent with the workings of the different teams, which has shown itself in perpetual grumbling and fault-finding. If we expect to win on the athletic field, we must work together, the college with the captains and men. We must give the teams our moral as well as financial support. The moral support is nowhere more needed than at the games or races.

When Mr. Brooks had concluded, Mr. Finally moved that the executive committee be empowered to elect a committee, wholly advisory, to assist him in his crew duties. The motion being carried, the meeting adjourned.