The Procession.

At five, yesterday afternoon, Memorial was filled with students, fortifying themselves against the labors of the evening. About six, the rallying cries of the various classes began to echo in the square, and in a short time the inward running cars were crowded with students in the uniforms of their respective classes.

At about seven, the Harvard contingent began to form in front of Charles St. Jail, where, it is said, many had already engaged quarters for the night. After a rather long wait at this point, the column took up its march through Charles, Beacon and Berkely sts., to Marlborough, where it made the final halt before starting over the regular route.

At eight o'clock the signal was heard for the entire procession to take up the march. The Harvard brigade, in the division commanded by Col. Bancroft, marched in the following order:

Chief Marshall Storrow and Staff.

Police Corps.

Captain Whiteside.

40 Men.

Drum Corps.

Drum Major Winslow.

90 Men.

Class of '85.

200 Men.

University Eleven, in Barge.

Captain Kimball.

Class of '86.

250 Men.

Brass Band.

Drum Major D. E. White.

25 Pieces.

Class of '87.

250 men.

Barouches and Drags.

Class of '88.

250 men.

Boston Cadet Band.

Harvard Law School.

100 men.

Up Commonwealth avenue the procession marched, then down as far as Dartmouth street to Boylston, past the Brunswick. At this point a platform had been built, from which Mr. Blaine reviewed the parade. As the Harvard men passed in review, the rah, rah, rah's were almost continuous. From this point the column marched over to Columbus avenue and thence through the South End. All along the route the residences were beautifully decorated with Chinese lanterns, transparencies, bunting. When Chester Sq. was reached, our detachment received a perfect ovation. The appearance of the college men was the signal for cheers and clapping, and many handkerchiefs were waved approvingly, only to be quickly confiscated as the brigade marched past. Over this part of the route the marching was rendered difficult by reason of the deep mud, but everyone was out for a good time, and no grumbling was heard. As houses were passed where young ladies tenanted the windows, the classes invariably sent up loud and appreciative cheers. From the South End the procession took up the line of march for the business districts, passing through Tremont, Eliot and Washington sts. Along this portion of the route the crowd of spectators was tremendous, it being thought that the parade was witnessed by at least 200,000 people. From Washington st. the column marched up Cornhill, Tremont, Park, Beacon, Howard, and Bulfinch sts. to Bowdoin square, where the Harvard delegation was disbanded.

NOTES.

A company of medical students was in the parade.

Chief Marshal Storrow and his aids were mounted.

Contrary to expectations, there was no disturbance in the yard, last night.

The Law School men, in their wigs and gowns, were received with hearty applause.

No attempt was made to maintain anything like military order in the different classes.

At Dr. Gannet's school, on Chester Square, the young ladies were unusually demonstrative.

The traditional "Black Bottle" occupied, as usual, a prominent position in the proceedings.

The procession, as a whole, was superior to anything that has been seen in Boston this year.

The "first families of Boston" were liberally represented upon the sidewalks along the route.

While the men were straggling back to college in small groups, several shop awnings were accidentally burned.

When the column was passing over the lower part of Washington st. desertions began to become frequent.

The rumor that the Drum Corps was to have a champagne supper at the Vendome proved to be unfounded.

Several wagons with fire works were in line, from which bombs, roman candles, and mines were constantly discharged.

Mr. Blaine watched the Harvard men with great interest, and stood with head uncovered while they passed before him.

The Technology men, about 600 in number, in gowns and Oxford caps, of Grey and cardinal, presented a fine appearance.

Owing to the fact that the Harvard delegation disbanded in town no systematic rush was held. There were several little private rushes, however, in the Port, in which honors were pretty evenly divided between '87 and '88.

The Juniors and Freshmen attracted the most attention along the route; their costumes being by far the most effective.

For an hour after the parade a constant stream of heroics and cars flowed over Cambridge Bridge, bringing back the wearied torchlighters.

It was rumored that the entire Cambridge police force was to have met the brigade in the Port, if the students had marched out in a body.

The Police Squad, under Captain Whiteside, was one of the most successful hits of the parade, and performed invaluable duty in keeping order along the route.

The Drum Corps, under the unequalled direction of Major Winslow, covered itself with renown-and mud. Seriously, however, there were few other corps in the procession which performed so well.

The transparencies borne in the column were not so numerous as might have been hoped. Some of them were very good. One bore the legend, "The World, the Flesh, and the Devil," inscribed under portraits of Blaine, Cleveland and Butler. Another was dedicated to "Our Prohibition Candidate, C. J. W." Another announced that the average age of the Board of Overseers was "95 in the shade.