New England Association of Colleges.

The New England Association of Colleges and Schools held its third annual meeting last Friday afternoon and evening. Most of the chief educators of New England were present, among them President Eliot and Professor Cohn of Harvard, President Seelye of Amherst, President Kendall of Cornell, President Capen of Tufts, and professors from Brown, Wellesley and Smith.

At the first session the question "Is a modification of the present modern language requisitions to college desirable," was discussed at length. It was stated that Harvard erred in the moral quality of the French it required its students to read. Professor Cohn replied to this charge in a very able manner and ardently defended the French department at Harvard.

At the evening session, President Kendall of Cornell read a paper on "The Teaching of Pedagogy in Colleges and Universities." He contrasted our public schools with the German gymnasium and real schools, and showed American schools to be greatly inferior. The remedy he said was in a systematic teaching of pedagogy in American colleges.