Football Notes.

The subject of probable action by the Faculty in regard to football in the future was yesterday the topic of general conversation. Many members of the Faculty were interviewed in regard to the matter, but all were fearful of giving any disportioned thought its expression. But plainly they are all thinking, and the expression is probably only a matter of time.

President Eliot said that he had nothing to say at the present time. The season was not yet over. Under the Harvard system, the control of athletics is deputied by the Faculty to the Athletic Committee, and it would be this committee from whom any move, were there any, could be expected. He could not venture any prediction as to what course this committee would take.

Professor Ames, Chairman of the Athletic Committee, expressed himself as sorry not to be able to make any public statement, but he had made it an invariable rule not to speak beforehand of any possible action by the committee or of his own wish in regard to such action.

Professor Bartlett, another of the Faculty members of this committee, expressed the same desire not to speak at the present time. Dean Briggs and Professor Shaler also thought the time not yet ripe for speech.

One member of the Faculty expressed himself as favorable to the abolition of games at Springfield and to their confinement to college grounds. Many others are undoubtedly of the same conviction.

Another considered that the game might be played without roughness if only umpires would use to the full the power vested in them.

From the different expressions of opinion, it is probably safe to summarize the feeling among prominent Faculty men as follows: First, no action looking to the abandonment of any game scheduled for this year is probable; second, the professors have confidence in the good sense of the players and students as a whole, and would be disinclined to take radical measures themselves; third, while most professors would be glad to see athletics assume a far less important part in the University life, nearly all recognize the value of intercollegiate contests; fourth, no professor seemed to feel that it had been proved that football could not be reformed; and, fifth, they all seemed to feel that just one of two things must be done, - football radically reformed or football entirely prohibited.

Open Practice Today.This afternoon at 3 o'clock, for the last time of the season, the 'varsity eleven will have open practice on Soldiers Field.

'Varsity Eleven.The 'varsity football team had no practice yesterday, but left for the quarters at Auburndale at 5 o'clock in the afternoon. The men looked little the worse for the hard game Saturday, with the exception of Hallowell and Wrightington, neither of whom will play in the University of Pennsylvania game Thursday.

The team will leave for Philadelphia on the Colonial express, tomorrow morning, at 9 o'clock, from the Park Square station. This train goes directly through to Philadelphia, arriving there at 6.10 o'clock. Dinner for the team will be prepared at New Haven, and served on the way to New York. At New York the train will be run aboard a steamer and will be taken by it around the city to the connection with the Pennsylvania Railroad. The quarters of the team at Philadelphia will be at the Hotel Metropole on Broad street.

Freshman Eleven.The freshmen squad was given only thirty minutes practice yesterday, during which time the first eleven scored once. Newell '94 assisted in the coaching. Knox wrenched his knee during the practice and was obliged to stop playing. The line-up of the elevens was practically unchanged.

Yale Freshman Game.A telegram received last evening from Yale definitely settles that the Harvard-Yale freshman game will be played on Saturday, December 1, with no members of the 'varsity squad on either eleven. The game will be on Soldiers Field at 2 o'clock.

Yale Practice.[N. E. Associated Press.]

NEW HAVEN, CONN., Nov. 26. - The Yale eleven indulged in an hour's secret practice this afternoon on the Yale Field. All the regular players, except Jerrems, were present, Murphy included. He has entirely recovered from his injury of last Saturday and will surely play in the game with Princeton.

Heffelfinger, who is one of the principal coaches of the eleven, said tonight that the 'varsity team was in better shape than after last year's Harvard game. He thinks that the physical condition of Yale will enable them to outplay the Tigers.

The tickets for the Princeton game have all been disposed of here and are selling at a great premium.

Princeton Practice.[N. E. Associated Press.]

PRINCETON, N. J., Nov. 26. - The practice of the university football eleven today was marked by the good playing of Holly and Rosengarten, and a general improvement in the work of the team from the standpoint of concentrated action and well-directed playing. Cochran played a short time at fullback, but was injured seriously during the game and in all probability Bannard will be the Princeton fullback during the Yale game. Captain Trenchard is finding an exceptionally good man in Armstrong, who is developing into a first-class line bucker.

A meeting of undergraduates is being held tonight to arrange for concentrated cheering and to stir up general enthusiasm among the students in order to encourage the team as much as possible. The Tigers are determined to defeat Yale.