Annual Report of the Harvard Annex.

The report of the Secretary of the Harvard Annex for the ninth year has recently been published, and shows that the institution is on a firmer basis and that its operations are being carried on more satisfactorily than ever before. It contains an urgent appeal for more funds and calls attention to the fact that the general endowment meets the expenses only by the most strict economy. It is absolutely necessary that in the near future more class room be provided and that funds be raised for the purchase of books and laboratory apparatus, of which the institution now stands greatly in need.

During the year, the students have formed a prosperous social club, the Emmanuel Club, for the discussion of ethics and philanthropy: its meetings have been addressed by Prof. Peabody, Rev. Edward Abbott, Rev. William Lawrence, and other well known men. The spirit of fellowship is rapidly growing stronger and the students are becoming more united in their social and literary work. In point of numbers the Society has been more prosperous than in any former year, having one hundred and three women in its classes last year against ninety the year previous. The special student department is considered a most important part of the institution. Last year eighty-five received certificates at graduation, one received final honors, and eighteen received a certificate equivalent to a degree of Bachelor of Arts at Harvard College. During the year the executive committee have made a new arrangement for the payment of tuition fees in accordance with which five-eights instead of one-half of the whole fee for a full course is payable at the beginning of the year.