Public Lectures Under the Auspices of the Deutscher Vereine.

A well-attended meeting of the Deutscher Verein was held in 16 Hollis Thursday evening. Mr. Oaks of the Law School read a very creditable paper giving a picture of the public and private life of the German people of today. The society voted to have a dinner at Young's about the middle of December. It is intended to make the dinner as characteristically German as possible. None but German dishes will be served. Dr. Francke has consented to preside at the dinner.

A series of public lectures has been arranged to be given during the winter in Sever 11 and in Boylston. The lectures will treat particularly of the intellectual life of Germany. Mr. Henry Villard will deliver the first of the series early in January. His topic will be political. Prof. Ripley of Yale will speak in February on "Goethe," and Dr. Francke in March on "Individualism." The fourth lecture will be on "Modern German Thought and its significance to English-speaking People." It will be given by Mr. I. W. Harris of Concord. Mr. T. R. Kohler who has charge of the archives of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts will speak in Boylston Hall, on "German Engraving of the Sixteenth Century." Mr. Kohler is a leading authority on engravings. He will illustrate his lecture by means of photographs originally prepared for the museum, Mr. Carl Schurz has been invited to speak but he has not yet answered the invitation. The lectures without exception will be given in English. The credit of originating the series is due largely to Dr. Francke. The students of the college will undoubtedly take advantage of the opportunity afforded them and by attending the lectures will help to make the undertaking a success.