Yale-Harvard Freshman FootBall.

The first foot-ball game between Harvard and Yale freshman teams took place in Boston twelve years ago, when Harvard, '80, defeated Yale, '80, on the Boston Common by a score of three goals to nothing. Since then, with but three exceptions, freshman foot-ball games have been played every year, and in some years two games took place. In 1877, the Harvard freshmen again succeeded in defeating the Yale freshmen, winning two games, one at New Haven and one at Boston, and losing none. In 1878 there was no game; but the year after Yale turned tables upon Harvard, her freshman eleven easily defeating the Harvard freshman twice, at New Haven and at Boston. In 1880 only one game was played. and Yale was again victorious; the game was played in Springfield and was won by Yale by a score of three goals, one touchdown to nothing. In the following year the game was played on the Boston Common, and once more the Yale freshmen defeated the Harvard team. In 1882 and 1883 the games were both played on Jarvis field, and both resulted in a tie, 6 to 6 and 5 to 5. In the next two years no freshman championship games took place, but in 1886 Harvard, '90, easily defeated Yale, '90, at Cambridge by a score of 22 to 4. Last year the freshman game was played at New Haven, and Harvard again won by a score of 6 to 2.

Harvard has thus won the freshman championship five times, Yale, four times, and tied twice.