Professor Cohn's Reading at Miss Hersey's School.

Professor Cohn of Harvard gave the first of a series of four readings from Moliere at Miss Hersey's school on Chestnut street yesterday afternoon. The play was "Le Medecin malgre lui," one of the most celebrated of French farces. In spite of the fact that the name Spanarelle is derived from the Italian, the play is French in every respect. The motive of a son trying to get money out of his father is embodied in "Le Medecin malgre lui," along with other elements of interest that become almost as conventional with Moliere as the plots of Latin comedy grew to be; but the ignorant man who beats his wife, and is in revenge given out by her as a most skilful doctor who will not consent to practice until he is soundly beaten-this is the farce motive of the piece, and in such hands as those of Moliere it is most potent for mirth.

Although Prof. Cohn is not wholly successful as an interpreter of woman's character, his intellectual grasp of character and dialogue, and his keen and discriminating sense of humor are surpassed by few.

"Les Fourberies de Scapin" will be read on Dec. 3d. "Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme," on the 10th of that month, and the course will be completed on Dec. 17th, when "Le Misanthrope" will be read.