Intercollegiate Football.

The discussion of the football question, which has been carried on in the Cornell faculty meetings for some weeks, was practically brought to a close last Friday. The resolution which was the subject of debate was, "That no leaves of absence be granted to students to leave town for the purpose of playing intercollegiate football." Regarding the action taken, President Schurman made the following statements:

"The resolution was discussed in several previous meetings, and was made a special order for yesterday. A thorough discussion was had, lasting three hours. Final action was postponed until next week, but the following progress has been made: First, it is practically settled that the resolution forbidding intercollegiate football shall not prevail. Secondly, it is agreed that certain restrictions shall be imposed upon the playing of the game. Thirdly, these restrictions are to be considered through the week by a committee and reported for consideration at the next faculty meeting. The spirit and substance of the proposed resolutions were, however, agreed upon today.

"The limitations proposed are in line with the policy which the faculty has hitherto been acting upon. They concern leaves of absence from town to play the game, the university standing of the players, etc. It is not a radical change."

President Schurman further said that the change is the one which he had all along advocated. He has not believed in abolishing the game, but believes in playing it under reasonable restrictions.