Professor Armstrong's Address last Evening.

SIOUX AND SHAWNEE ORATORS.

A number of the Negroes and Indians, pupils of the Hampton school, spoke, last evening in Shepard Memorial Chapel. Perry, one of the Shawnee tribe, spoke in favor of giving the Indian a chance to civilize himself. The Indian remains in barbarism because, shut away from the world in reservations, he has never had any opportunities for improvement.

A Sioux Indian from Dakota told how he had talked to the chiefs who come to Washington about selling their lands. The Indians want to get as much money as possible for their lands in order to buy clothes and tools. The Indians do not want to die and know that civilization is necessary for their existence. They are getting ready for citizenship, but need education first.

Mr. Daggs, a mulatto, described the work of his fellow graduates in organizing schools and churches. The color will take care of itself in future.

General Armstrong then described the work at his school, and showed how much both Negroes and Indians had improved in the last twenty years. The whites of the South have been intimidated into education by the progress of the blacks. The state of Mississippi is doing more for the instruction of the Negroes than is done by Massachusetts. The great trouble, however, is the lack of teachers.