Base-Ball at Princeton.

Now that the foot-ball season is finished, the attention of the students at Princeton is turned to base-ball. The outlook at present is very dull, and the old members are somewhat despondent. The ball cage which was erected last winter. after considerable effort, was blown down during the summer and has not been rebuilt. The gymnasium is not suitably equipped for winter practice, and there is almost no opportunity for batting. It is a recognized fact that a cage is indispensable for the formation of a good nine, and this accident is very serious. The men interested in base-ball are trying to collect funds to erect a new cage on the site of the old one, and it is hoped that work will be begun upon it within a few weeks.

King. '89, who pitched in a few games last year with great success, has been elected captain of the team. He will probably pitch in place of Mercur, '88, who has graduated.

Brownlee, '89, and Brokaw, '92, are both candidates for catcher. Brownlee did some catching on the nine during his freshman and sophomore years, but has given it but little attention since and is out of practice Brokaw is catcher on his class nine and before entering college was catcher on the Lawrenceville Preparatory School nine, and is a promising man. Ames, '90, who formerly acted in this capacity, will perhaps either become substitute or take one of the bases. Dana, '91, is expected to remain on the team, and will no doubt take his old position on first base.

Osborne, '90, and Knickerbocker, '91, are promising candidates for third base.

Hanson, '92, has proved himself an eflicient short stop on his class nine, and is perhaps the best of the several spoken of for this position. Durell, '89, who has been in the right field, will perhaps remain at his old post or take centre field, and McMillan, '91, catcher for his class nine, will take his place. Watts, '91, who was in left field in some of last year's championship games, will probably retain that position.