Free School of Mechanical Trades.

In founding a free school of mechanical trades in Philadelphia, Mr. Isaiah V. Williamson has shown an amount of sterling good sence in marked contrast to the conduct of those men who try to immortalize their names by founding so-called "universities" in obscure country towns. This school will prove of the greatest benefit to the city, and will form a most useful supplement to the public schools. The endowment is $500,000, the income from which will be large enough to defray all expenses. The school is intended to furnish a free technical education to boys who show an aptitude for mechanical pursuits.

Mr. Isaiah V. Williamson, is 86 years of age, and is of an old Pennsylvania family, one of his ancestors having arrived in this country and taken out a patent for 100 acres of land near what is now Philadelphia, five years before William Penn came over to settle on his grant. He is a bacnelor, and has been engaged most of his life in the wholesale dry goods business.

Mr. Williamson has selected, as trustees of the new school, Messrs. John Wanamaker, Franklin B Gowan, Lemuel Coffin, William C. Ledwith, John Baird, Edward Longstrath, Henry C. Townsend, James W. Brooks and Alfred Helmbold, the last gentleman being the donor's private secretary. The trustees have organized and elected Mr. Baird as president, Mr. Brooks as treasurer and Mr. Helmbold as secretary.