Exeter Catalogue.

The Exeter catalogue for 1888-89 has just been published. It contains a good deal of interesting matter, and shows that a liberal advance has been made at Exeter during the past year. But few changes have been made in the board of trustees and in the faculty during the past year. George S. Morrison, of Chicago, was elected last June into the board of trustees, and he is the only man residing in the West, who has received such a distinction. The faculty remains the same in number but has two new members, Messrs. Fowler and Stone, who have filled the vacancies made by the resignation of Messrs. Kittridge and Getchell. The whole number of students is 323, of whom 227 pursue the classical course, and 96 the English course. The senior class contains 65, the middle class 108, the junior, 83, and the preparatory, 67. One of the changes from last year's catalogue is the full list of the donations from 1794 to 1886, according to which Exeter has received over $200, 000 during the past ten years.

The grounds have been improved a great deal and a laboratory for chemistry and physics has been built. There has been no change in the list of studies, excepting in English courses, which vary each year to suit the entrance examinations of Harvard, Yale and other colleges. The new laboratory has necessitated a radical change in the physics and chemistry courses; a good deal of attention is paid to experiments so as to meet the requirements for entrance to Harvard.

The laboratory is a large building, fitted up with all modern appliances. No iron has been used in its construction so as not to interfere with experiments in magnetism. Twenty-four new scolarships have been founded by which the six best men in each class, four from the classical, two from the English department, will receive their tuition free for the following term.