The Last Advocate.

The Advocate made its appearance yesterday afternoon. The articles are varied and unusually good, and in many respects this number may be considered the best of the current volume, though it is difficult to pronounce even this issue more worthy since all preceding ones have been of such undeniable merit. The editorials are forcible and upon subjects of interest to every college man. The remarks about a prospective rowing tank are especially noteworthy and the suggestions deserve to be put into practice without delay. "A Knight of Today" is a graphic recital of a romantic episode, the scene of which is connected with the recent presidential election. The story is admirably constructed in form of dialogue, and although the effect is heightened by the repeated use of unmentionable expletives, the same end could be attained by a less realistic means. Two subjects are discussed under the Topics of the Day. The first contains facts about the religious tendencies of Harvard that will be granted by every one who is acquainted with the inner workings of the University. Such a statement does much to weaken the prejudices of skeptical outsiders. "Advice to Sophomores" is the second article. Every sophomore would do himself a service by a careful perusal of this homily. "His First Experience" is an unpretentious detective reminiscence supposed to be narrated by an inspector. "How do You Live?" is pregnant with new and sensible observations on the routine of every day life. This piece, though short, is one of the best features in the table of contents. The verse in this number is obviously above the average. "The Rose of Harvard" is melodious and has a charming sentiment. "Questions" is so far above the commonplace that it is more than verse-it may justly be called poetry.