Fact and Rumor.

The last number of the 'Varsity has a poem by Bliss Carman, Harvard, '87.

A prominent sporting man has invented a machine which he intends to use as a base-ball pitcher.- Yale News.

The U. of Penn. has erected a $1,100 greenhouse to cultivate plants for botanical work.- Cornell Sun.

The Columbia College Athletic Association will not send delegates to the convention of the N. Y. State Inter-Collegiate Athletic Association.

Harvard, Yale and Dartmouth have all conferred the degree of LL. D. upon Secretary-of-State Bayard.

Amherst, Williams and Pennsylvania were refused admission to the college base-ball league.

The examinations at Columbia this week take place under the new marking system.

There are 900 students at the University of New York, 650 of whom are in the medical department.

Morgan Rotch, Harvard, 1871, has been re-elected mayor of New Bedford, Mass.

The Yale nine will open the season at Philadelphia, March 30, playing with the University of Pennsylvania.

Of the fifteen foot-ball matches between Oxford and Cambridge, Oxford has won six, Cambridge five, and four were drawn games.

George Morrison, '87, now at the Columbia Law School, took a prominent part in the Columbia threaticals last week in aid of the boat club.

St. Peter's College, the oldest college at Cambridge, Eng. was founded in 1275, Pembroke College in 1347, King's College in 144 and Magdelene College in 1519.

Alpha Delta Phi has at last been reestablished at Yale, and a chapter house will be built. The society is limited to 12 men in each class and will extend through the entire course.

Mr. F. F. Thompson, of N. Y., has provided a course of lectures for Williams students this winter as he did last. The first lecture was given last week by Prof. Hardy, of Dartmouth, on "An Evening in Spain."

Ex-President John Bascom, of the U. of Wisconsin, who has returned to his old home in Williamstown to engage in literary work, has been added to the Williams faculty as lecturer on sociology, and will deliver a course of lectures on that subject to the senior class.

A new journal is about to be started in New York called "Garden and Forest." The editors are Professors Farlow and C. S. Sargent, of Harvard, and A. S. Packard, of Brown. One of the chief uses of this publication will be to promote practical forestry and economic tree planting.