"The Health of Professional Men."

Professor Francis Minot, of the Medical School, delivered an interesting lecture last night on the diseases to which professional men are subject and the means of preventing them. The health of such men is above the average, as their freedom from anxiety and overwork, combined with the usually good sanitary conditions of their surroundings, more than counterbalances the evils attendant on a sedentary life. As brain-workers always take less exercise than manual laborers, they are cones queenly more effected by hereditary tendencies to disease, and their indoor life exposes them particularly to the maladies caused by defective plumbing. Proper ventilation during the hours devoted to work and sleep is of the first consequence, and can best be attained by the use of open fireplaces instead of the usual furnace, which rarefies the air to an injurious extent. Plenty of exercise in the open air in agreeable company will prevent the bilious headache and mental depression which interfere so often with the usefulness of professional men. Above all, intervals of complete rest, combined with change of occupation, such as the cultivation of flowers, or similar pursuits entirely foreign to the regular employment, will enable a man to accomplish far more than would otherwise be possible. In the words of the famous Dr. Bird, who recently fell a victim to over work, "Take six weeks' holiday every year. It may delay your success, but it will save your life."