The University at Atlanta.

The Glenn bill, which makes it a penal offence to teach in mixed schools of white and colored pupils, has brought the Atlanta University into prominence. In 1869, the Freedman's Burean established the university and soon after the State appropriated a large sum for its support. The outcry raised against the Glenn bill was so great that a modification was introduced which withheld all State appropriations, and by so doing a direct income of $8000 per year was taken from the university. The policy of the institution has not been abandoned on this account, and the subscriptions of private individuals has enabled the work to be carried on. The university is designed for the education of all, regardless of race or color. It comprehends primary, grammar and college courses, while useful training in mechanics can be obtained. The excellence of the institution and its advantages to the State are acknowledged by even its enemies. Five sixths of the colored teachers in Atlanta are graduates of the university and a large proportion is found in all the cities of Georgia. The Atlanta University deserves support for its stubborn attempt to elevate the colored race and to extinguish the hated race distinction in one of the most advanced and prosperous of the Southern States. It is amalgamating the two races by showing to the oppressors what useful citizens the members of the proscribed race become when properly treated.