The Berkeley Athletic Club of New York City.

A new athletic association has been formed in New York, a description of whose building and general purpose may interest our readers. Among the officers of the club, besides many who have been at one time or another connected with Harvard, are several names that are familiar to the present undergraduates, among them Wendell Baker and James A. Tyng. John S. White, the head master of the Berkeley School, is the president of the association, and its other offices are filled by men well-known in New York City.

The club has a handsome house on West 44th street, just off of Fifth avenue. The building occupies two city lots and comprises two stories of about 30 feet each. It is supplied with everything to make a completely equipped private club-house. In the sub-cellar are three regulation bowling alleys and the apparatus for steam heating, etc. The basement floor is occupied by a plunge-bath, fifty-six feet long by twelve wide, shower and needle baths and dressing rooms; also by a billiard room having four tables and a room for base-ball and tennis practice. The ground floor will contain a theatre capable of seating about 500 people, a social room, library and about five hundred lockers.

On the second floor there is a dancing hall. The rear of this story is occupied by the gallery of the theatre. There are also four hundred lockers on this floor.

The entire third floor is occupied by the gymnasium, which is one hundred and one feet long by fifty wide. It is supplied with a complete set of gymnasium apparatus, chest weights, rowing weights, rings, bars, etc. A running track is constructed, encircling the entire room nine feet above the floor, having twenty laps to a mile. The floor of the track is bedded with prepared felt covered with canvas, which gives a firm elastic footing. In the floor of the gymnasium the lines of a tennis court are inlaid in white maple. All the gymnasium apparatus is arranged so as to be easily movable with pulleys, so that the floors can be cleared for tennis in a few moments.

Watson L. Savage, Amherst '82, has been appointed permanent director of this gymnasium. He pursues a similar method of measuring and prescribing exercise to that used in our own gymnasium. The membership of the club is limited to three hundred besides the stockholders. No professional is allowed to be a member of the club.

The avowed purpose of this organization is not so much the production of great athletes as the promotion of general physical culture among all its members. The Berkeley Association is one of the many clubs that have in the last few years sprung into life in New York and other places, and illustrates, like them, the growing favor of Americans for general athletic culture.