Yale's Chances for Retaining the Mott Haven Cup.

Never before in the history of Yale has there been such an interest taken in field athletics. The enthusiasm awakened four years ago when the Yale field was first used has steadily increased. Instead of being at the bottom in track athletics Yale now leads all her opponents. The improvement has been a gradual one, developing a little year by year, till in '87 five first prizes were won by Yale men at Mott Haven, and at last the cherished cup became Yale's. Since that time the interest has not been allowed to lag for a moment, and the Athletic Association have spared no efforts to retain the distinction so dearly won. The games last fall were among the most interesting ever held and considerable new material was developed. The chief hope rests in new material, although there are several of last year's winners still in college. The new men are carefully trained and are given every possible opportunity to gain experience in racing.

From present indications there will be a hard struggle this season at the inter-collegiate games. Harvard feels very sore over having lost the Mott Haven cup to Yale in addition to all the other championships and will spare no efforts to regain it. Yale on the other hand will struggle hard before allowing it to go to Harvard, for in this as in all other contests, the struggle for the championship narrows down to Yale and Harvard.

Several single events will undoubtedly fall to the other colleges, but none will approach dangerously near to the great Universities. Sherrill, Sherman, Berger, Harmer and Coxe, who took prizes at Mott Haven last season, are still in college, although Coxe will not enter unless it is absolutely necessary. Sherrill will undoubtedly win the 100-yards dash, although Rogers of Harvard will be a close second and push him for first place. Sherrill and Robinson both have a fair chance in the 220-yard dash, but neither is a sure winner against Wells of Harvard and Banks of Columbia.

In the quarter-mile run Yale is weak, and the race will lie between Banks, of Columbia, who holds the world's record at that distance, and Wells, of Harvard, who is remarkably fast and will push Banks very closely for first place. In the half-mile run, too, Yale is pretty weak, and unless some new man turns up this event will go to Cogswell, of Harvard, who was entered in the fall games last year, or Faries, of the U. of P. Both of these men are strong runners at that distance and the winner will have to make good time. Dana, of Harvard, is also a good man for the half mile. Harmar, Yale, '90, will not have much difficulty in winning the mile run, and, perhaps, also he may take a hand in the half-mile. If he does, that race may fall to Yale also. Gilford, Lane and Phelps, of Columbia, are also fast men for the mile run. In the mile walk Yale has had no worthy representative for a number of years, Meredith, '85, S., being the last man in that event who has left a creditable record behind him. Lange, of Columbia, if he consents to enter, will win with ease. Otherwise it will be anybody's race, Lange being the only fast walker in the Intercollegiate Association. The hurdle race will probably go to Yale, although Mapes, of Columbia, is fast, and will press Berger at every hurdle. Page, of the U. of P., is, without doubt, the highest jumper in the college association, but if he refuses to enter, as is probable, Sherman, of Yale, will be a hard man to beat. Goodwin, Yale, '90, is another good man if his health will allow him to enter. She man also has a good chance to win a prize in the broad jump and pole-vault, although Robinson, Yale, '89, has an equal chance in the jump.

The bicycle race lies between Harvard and the U. of P. If Coxe enters he can win the hammer and shot with ease, otherwise Lafayette will probably win the events. Yale's chances in the tug-of-war are better than ever before, but both Columbia and Harvard will be hard to beat. On the whole Yale's chances are not particularly good unless Coxe enters. Sherrill, Berger, Harmer and Shearman may be counted on, but these will not be enough to retain the cup. If, however, Coxe wins his two events again, Yale is in no danger of having to surrender the highly-valued punch-bowl.- New Haven Union.