The American Society for Psychical Research.

The American Society for Psychical Research, whose secretary, Mr. Richard Hodgson, is to lecture next Monday evening for the benefit of the University Crew, is a society in which the college should be interested because so many of the professors are leading members, and because it has been proved that a study of the laws of mental action is one that can be carried on to advantage. Among the leading movers in the society the names of Dr. Bowditch, of the Harvard Medical School, Professor Pickering, of the Observatory, Professors Royce and James and Mr. S. N. Scudder, are well-known to most of us. The aim of the society is to investigate the so-called phenomena of thought transference, apparitions and haunted houses, hypnotism, mediumistic phenomena and experimental psychology. On application to the secretary, blanks will be mailed to anyone who cares to note any observations, also instructions for experimenting. Mr. Hodgson's lecture on Monday evening will be on "Apparitions," and anyone who intends to go may be sure that he will come away with some new ideas on the subject, as well as with the feeling that his evening has been advantageously spent.