The Bussey Institution.

The Bussey Institution has during the past few years become a very important part of the University. Its faculty is fully efficient, and in addition to the usual instruction imparted, much valuable work has been done in other ways by them. It is a school of agriculture and horticulture, and gives systematic training in farming, useful and ornamental gardening, and stock raising. It is especially adapted to young men who intend to become farmers, florists, or landscape gardeners; as well as for those who will naturally be called upon to manage large estates, or who wish to qualify themselves to be superintendents of farms, country seats or public institutions. The property consists of 640 acres of excellent arable land in Jamaica Plain. Since the bequest of Mr. Benjamin Bussey was made, a commodious building, of considerable architectural merit, has been erected, in addition to barns and green houses. In 1872, the revenues of the institution were largely augmented by the gift of $100,000 by Mr. James Arnold. This gentleman stipulated that a professorship of tree culture should be established; and since then 137 acres of the Bussey property has been devoted to the culture of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants, which adds greatly to the intrinsic value of this professorship. A library of three thousand books on subjects relating directly to character of the establishment gives a student ample opportunities for collateral reading. Judging from recent improvements, and past results of excellent work, the future of the Bussey Institution is certainly promising.