The Columbia Freshman Crews.

The following account of the work now being done by the Columbia Freshman crews was written by Mr. Klapp, the captain of the 'varsity crew for the Columbia Spectator. It ought to prove to the candidates for our freshman crew that only by the most conscientious efforts on their part can they hope to be successful at New London.

"The Freshman crews are now training regularly at Wood's Gymnasium. The Arts, from 3.15 to 5 o'clock; the Mines, from 4.45 to about 6.15, daily, except Saturday, when the work is done in the morning.

"It was originally intended to revive, this year, the Art-Mines Freshman race, which, besides being usually a close and exciting one to watch, was an excellent means of testing the men's "sand," and thus in picking the crew. So few men, however, tried for places in the boats, and such little interest seemed to be taken by the classes in the matter, that it has been given up.

"There are now some good men at work, but too few. There are at least, five men in each class who should be working, but who are not, simply from lack of diligence or ambition. The crew is, therefore, left in a bad state, with only five or six men training who are fit to represent the class at New London.

"If no more men can be persuaded to train, the crew will be forced to meet Harvard, '91, with some indifferent or poor men in their boat. Every effort should therefore be made to get the drones at work. Meanwhile, those men who are working must train all the harder, and learn from '90's crew what can be done with bad material by the hardest kind of work. The men now training are:

"Arts-1, Gallatin; 2, Burke; 3, Met-calf; 4, Norrie (captain); 5, Tuttle; 6, Steinbach; 7, Lee. Mines-8, Living-ston; 9, La Farge; 10, Robertson; 11, Havemeyer; 12, Faulkner; 13, Lang-thorn (captain).

"As a whole, the crews must get more life into the stroke and recover slower. As compared to other Freshmen crews at this time of the year, the good men are doing about the same, and if they could get three or four more men to work, they would have a fair prospect before them."