The New Library at Yale.

Work on the new library for Yale, to be built from funds presented by Mr. Chittenden of Brooklyn will be begun this spring. The contract has been awarded to a New Haven firm, and in the contract there is a stipulation to the effect that the building shall be ready for occupancy by May, 1889. Before the new library can be commenced, the two old buildings which are on the site of the new library must be removed. They will be sold at auction within a few weeks. There have been no material changes in the plans of the building, which were chosen several months ago, but some of the details have been changed. The material of the building will be lock-faced long-meadow stone, of which there will be two grades; one will be for the main walls and will be of a dark color, while for the facings and friezes a lighter shade will be used. Polished wood will be used for the interior finish and decoration. In the construction, the latest innovations will be introduced, and every precaution will be taken to guard against dampness and to have the library fire-proof. The architecture of the structure will be a mixture of the Gothic and Romanesque styles. The total cost of the building is reckoned at 125,000 dollars.