The Leland Stanford. Jr., University.

The Leland Stanford, Jr., University, which is to be to the Pacific Coast what Harvard and Yale are to the East, is rapidly nearing completion. The site of the University is a spot in the foot-hills of the Coast Range Mountains about thirty miles south of San Francisco. The grounds are several miles in extent and slightly hilly. The general plan of the new institution is a hollow oblong six hundred feet long and two hundred and fifty feet wide, leaving a quadrangle within. Around the quaprangle connecting the buildings is an arcade which will be eighteen feet high and twenty feet wide. Most of the buildings are to be built in the Spanish style, having but one story. There will be fourteen buildings in all, and the enclosure formed by them will be paved with concrete. It will be divided by a boulevard running from the south to the north entrance. The arcade is designed to permit communication between the buildings without exposure to the weather. The main entrance to the court is through a memorial arch, which is to have a frieze running around the top, illustrating the progress of California. On the right and left of the arch are two story buildings-one containing the natural history collection and the other the library. When additional buildings shall be found necessary they will be built around and outside the present college. It is on this larger quadrangle that the art galleries and museums will be built, and the time may not be far distant when some of these buildings may be constructed.