"Town and Gown."

The following is an extract from an editorial in the Cambridge Tribune, written in reference to the subject discussed at the dinner of the Cambridge Club last week,- the subject of "The Reciprocal Relations of Harvard University and the City of Cambridge:-

"There is, as a matter of fact, very little to criticize in the relations of the college and the city. The fact that Harvard has a large amount of real estate which pays no taxes is sometimes complained of by the over-careful tax-payer, who has a feeling that his own taxes are thus made higher. There is probably, however, not a city in New England whose people would not gladly give the land, with perpetual exemption from taxation, if Harvard University would transfer itself within their borders. Harvard certainly contributes vastly more to the city in merely material prosperity than is sacrificed by exemption from taxation. And in quickening the intellectual life of the city, in bringing its people into contact with great thinkers and scientists and preachers, in opening freely to the use of all the treasure houses of learning, the University is doing a service that deserves the most cordial appreciation.

"There has been a great advance in mutual good feeling between 'town and gown' even within a score of years. A Cambridge policeman does not now represent 'all that is antagonistic to human interests,' even in the eyes of the freshest undergraduate. Harvard men and Cambridge society have very pleasant relations, and the annual graduation exercises of the city high school in Sanders theatre represent much more fairly the existing good feeling than does the petty criticism of Harvard as a foreign and non-taxpaying corporation."