The Overseers Report on Athletics.

The majority of the committee of the overseers appointed to consider the letics say in their report that during the last year ninety-four contests took place costing $25,000. The existing system does not tend to encourage a general habit of exercises among the students, but rather discourages it. In rowing, for instance, single and double sculls have nearly disappeared, and the whole energy of the boating men is devoted to the 'varsity crew. The students are becoming divided into two classes, those who are actively engaged in athletics, and those who take no interest in physical exercise at all. This is certainly to be regretted. Those contests which take place away from Cambridge materially interrupt the serious work of the students. Those who attend them are excessively excited, and are peculiarly exposed to the temptations of a great city. The influence is mischievous and distinctly unfavorable to regular work. The desire for victory is so strong that professional methods creep in, and disputes and charges of trickery constantly occur. Rowing, baseball, cricket, and lacrosse are reasonably safe, but football is extremely dangerous, while sparring is in many cases an exhibition of brute force, rather than a contest of skill. The main work of a student is to get an education, and athletics should be no more important before graduation than afterwards. No good comes from intercollegiate contests, and better results will follow if the competition is confined to members of this college. The committee recommend the adoption of the following votes:

Voted, That the faculty be requested to prohibit any undergraduate from taking part in any athletic contests with the students of any other college or with any organization not belonging to the university during the college year.

Voted, That the existing committee on athletics should be increased from five to seven by adding thereto one members of the faculty and one undergraduate, and that this committee should be given the entire supervision and control of all athletic exercises within the precincts of the university, subject to the authority of the faculty.

The playgrounds are insufficient and the land south of the Charles River should be prepared for use.

Mr. Walcott dissents from these opinions, and does not believe that intercollegiate contests are any worse than those within the precincts of the college would be. The best remedy for abuse of athletics is not prohibition, but intelligent control of intercollegiate contests. He recommended, however, that formal contests be limited to Yale, that only 'Varsity teams take part in them, and that they shall take place only in New England.