The Yale Freshman Nine.

Practice in the Yale freshman nine has been constant and severe. The candidates during the winter were not left inactive, but since out-of-door work has been practicable they have been subject to rigid discipline. Dietary restrictions are numberous, and only the most wholesome and simple food is allowed. The hours for work have been lengthened, and every man is kept to his duty. The candidates now practice batting in the cage on Saturday afternoons, and play hand-ball in the rink from 4.30 to 5 every afternoon; from 5 to 5.30, chest-weights and Indian clubs, and from 5 to 6, base-sliding in the cage. Rumor has it that the batting is nothing to speak of, and that the sliding is considerably below par. The men are coached by Osborn, '88 Sheff while Stagg looks after the batteries of which there are two in practice. Dalzell is pitching to McBride, and Hedges is catching Isham, '90 Sheff. Several men have recently been dropped and those who are in training at present are as follows: From '91; Barnes, Childs, Crawford, Cushing, Dunnell, Forsyth, Graves, C. Hall, Harvey, Hedges, F. Huntington, Hurd, Knox, W. McClintock, Morehead, Thurber, Treadwell, Twombley, Walcott, Wright, and Young; from '90 Sheff: Cheney, Griggs, Roby, Isham, and Spruce. There are besides, Dalzell, Poole, N. McClintock, McBride, and Dickerman, who are practising with the 'varsity nine. These men have all had a great deal of experience, and the nine when finally chosen will be a strong one and a powerful opponent.