Yale, 7; Harvard, 1.

The prospects for a game at New Haven last Saturday were exceedingly unpromising in the morning. The rain of the previous night was continued in the still more exasperating form of a cold drizzle, and many men who had intended to support the nine, changed their minds at the last moment. However, in spite of the dismal outlook, about one hundred and seventy men left Boston on the nine o'clock train and reached New Haven at half-past one. The drizzle had ceased soon after leaving the depot, and there was but little question as to the game's being played at New Haven. When the Harvard delegation arrived on the ball field, they found every available seat on the grounds taken, the grand stand was packed with pretty girls seemingly made of blue, vehicles ranged round the ropes enclosing the diamond were covered with blue and blue pennons fluttered everywhere. The Harvard contingent were forced to content themselves with a position just back of first base, and as the grass was very wet, most of them had to stand during the entire game.

The game itself was characterized by execrable fielding on Harvard's part, many of the errors being perfectly inexcusable, contrasted strongly with the brilliant work of Yale. Both Bates and Stagg pitched a fine game, while Dann's catching and throwing to bases was phenomenal. Henshaw also caught a fine game. Knowlton made some great catches in left field, and Gallivan played a steady game on second. McBride and Hunt carried off the honors for Yale.

First Inning.- Campbell hit safely the first ball pitched just over McBride's head, amid a storm of cheers. In attempting to steal second he was thrown out by Dann. Quackenboss took first on called balls. Knowlton hit a grounder to Stewart, who fumbled it and Knowlton reached first. Willard struck out. Dann tried to catch Knowlton napping on first and Quackenboss went to third. Henshaw closed the inning by hitting a long fly to Hunt.

For Yale, Stagg led off with a beautiful single to right field and stole second. McConkey followed with another hit and Stagg went to third. Calhoun hit a foul to left field which Knowlton caught, but in returning the ball to the plate made a wild throw and Stagg scored. Dann hit a hot liner to Quackenboss who only succeeded in touching it with one hand. Hunt followed with a fine base hit, Noyes going to third. McBride and Stewart both struck out, closing the inning-2 runs.

Second Inning.- Gallivan led off with a pretty base hit, but was thrown out trying to steal second. Boyden and Howland both struck out.

Walker fouled out. Stagg reached first on balls. McConkey flied out to Campbell. Stagg was thrown out trying to steal second.

Third Inning.- Bates struck out, and Campbell followed suit. Quackenboss hit an easy grounder to Stagg and was thrown out at first.

For Yale Calhoun hit an easy bounder to Campbell and was thrown out at first. Noyes hit to Bates, and went out at first. Dann struck out.

Fourth Inning-Knowlton took his base on balls. Willard made a beautiful two-base hit and Knowlton scored. Henshaw struck out. Gallivan hit to Stewart and went out at first. Boyden flied out to Calhoun.

Hunt went out, Gallivan to Willard. McBride flied out to Knowlton. Stewart hit to Campbell and was thrown out at first.

Fifth Inning-Howland and Bates struck out. Campbell hit to Stewart and was thrown out at first.

Walker made a scratch hit. Stagg struck out. McConkey hit to Gallivan, who threw to Campbell on second, but Walker knocked the ball out of his hand and was declared safe. In attempting to catch Walker napping on second, Bates threw wildly and Walker and McConkey were each advanced a base. Then Bates threw to Campbell to catch McConkey off second, Campbell muffed the ball, and Walker scored. Calhoun hit to second, was thrown out at first, and Willard in trying to cut off McConkey on third threw the ball about a foot over Quackenboss' head and McConkey scored. Noyes made a long hit to left which Knowlton caught after a long run. Two runs. Total, 4.

Sixth Inning-Quackenboss led off with a fine single to centre field. Knowlton hit a hot liner to Stewart who caught the ball and made a neat double play. Willard went out at first on an easy grounder to Stagg.

Dann made a base hit. Hunt and McBride struck out. Stewart made a two-bagger. Bates made a wild pitch and Dann and Stewart scored. Walker hit an easy grounder to Willard and was retired at first. Two runs. Total, 6.

Seventh Inning-Henshaw struck out. Gallivan struck out. Boyden struck out.

Stagg made a base-hit. McConkey hit a long foul which Knowlton captured a hard run. Calhoun hit to Gallivan, who threw to first. Willard then threw the ball to Campbell on second, who had plenty of time to touch Stagg with the ball, but did not do so, thinking him forced off first. Calhoun went out, Campbell to Willard, and Stagg scored on a passed ball. Noyes flied out to Howland. One run. Total 7.

Eighth Inning.- Howland hit to Stewart and was thrown out at first. Bates hit a grounder to McBride. Campbell made a safe hit to right field. Dann had a passed ball and Campbell went to second. Quackenboss hit to McConkey and went out at first.

Dann hit a foul to Quackenboss. Hunt made a fine single. McBride fouled out to Williard, and Hunt was thrown out trying to steal second.

Knowlton flied out to Hunt, Williard struck out and Henshaw went out at first.

The score:

YALE.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Stagg, p., 3 2 2 2 0 14 2

McConkey, s.s., 4 2 1 1 0 1 0

Calhoun, r.f., 4 0 0 0 1 0 0

Noyes, 3b., 4 0 1 1 0 0 0

Dann, c., 4 1 1 1 12 2 1

Hunt, c.f., 4 0 2 2 2 0 0

McBride, 1b., 4 0 0 0 8 0 0

Stewart, 2b., 3 1 1 2 4 4 1

Walker, l.f., 3 1 1 1 0 0 0

Totals, 33 7 9 10 27 21 4

HARVARD.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Campbell, s.s., 4 0 2 2 1 2 2

Quackenboss, 3b., 3 0 1 1 1 0 0

Knowlton, l.f., 3 1 0 0 4 0 1

Willard, 1b., 4 0 1 2 8 0 1

Henshaw, c., 4 0 0 0 7 2 0

Gallivan, 2b., 3 0 1 1 2 3 0

Boyden, r.f., 3 0 0 0 0 0 0

Howland c.f., 3 0 0 0 1 0 0

Bates, p., 3 0 0 0 0 7 3

Total, 30 1 5 6 24 14 9

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yales, 2 0 0 0 2 2 1 0-7

Harvards, 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0-1

Earned runs-Yale, 2. Two-base hits-Stewart, Willard. Stolen bases-Stagg, Knowlton. First base on balls-Quackenboss, Knowlton, Stagg. First base on errors-Yale, 2; Harvard, 1. Struck out-Stagg, Dann, Hunt, McBride (2), Stewart, Campbell, Willard (2), Henshaw (2), Gallivan, Boyden (2), Howland (2), Bates (2). Double plays-Stewart and McBride. Passed balls-Dann, 1; Henshaw, 2. Umpire-McLean. Time-2 hours.