Trouble between Students and Faculty at Yale.

Since the discussion aroused by the proposal to tear down the Yale "fence" there has been some hard feelings on the part of the students toward the faculty. The students thought themselves unjustly treated by the summary way in which their protest and petition were ignored. The disapproval of the faculty was further aroused by the great celebration of the victory over Harvard last Saturday night. The rejoicing exceeded all bounds of moderation and was carried into the small hours of Sunday morning. The hostility was intensified Monday night, the occasion being the annual celebration of the death of the sophomore societies. A crowd of about seven hundred students, headed by a brass band, marched around the campus and then proceeded to the residence of President Dwight. In spite of the repeated cheers and calls, the president, contrary to his usual custom, did not appear. The processions, after visiting several professors, none of whom responded, returned to the "fence." Here a general rush and melee ensued, which was quelled only by the appearance of a body of tutors. These repeated breaches between the faculty and students have caused an estrangement which may result in more serious trouble if not soon healed over.