Fact and Rumor

Game today with Bowdoin at four o'clock.

The Advocate came out yesterday afternoon.

The Yale freshman crew have elected Rogers, '90 S., as permanent captain.

Section 1 will meet Mr. Wendell today in English 12.

The 'Varsity took their practice on Holmes yesterday for the first time this year.

President Patton, of Princeton, has written a new book called "Natural Resources of the United States."

Yale plays Amherst today at New Haven, and Trinity plays Columbia at Hartford.

There is to be a baseball game between two Law School nines this afternoon on Cambridge Common.

This is the last day for receiving names of competitors for the Boylston prizes. Professor A. S. Hill will be in Sever 1 from 3 to 4 p. m. to meet students desiring to compete.

The courses for the class races have been drawn and are as follows: '88 inside, nearest the wall; '89 next; '90 next, and '91 outside.

The English 6 oral debate today will very interesting through the connection of the subject with the late C., B. and Q. strike.

The new 1 per cent. liquor law went into effect in Cambridge on Monday. Adam's Welsh rarebits are now made with milk instead of beer, and even the innocent ginger ale is barred out.

In a baseball match between the Athletics and Memorials, each composed of waiters in Memorial Hall, the former nine was victorious by a score of 10 to 8. The battery of the Athletics was Stewart and Crawford; of the Memorials, Pidgeon and Carrington.

The second part of the "Selections illustrating Economic History since the Seven Years War," compiled by Benjamin Rand for the use of students in Political Economy 4, will be ready for distribution at the Co-operative today. The work was undertaken at the request of Prof. Dunbar and has proved a valuable aid to the men in the course.

A most interesting and fascinating work, entitled "Society in Rome under the Caesars," has just been brought out by Scribners. It is said to present the best picture ever given of the entire state of society, its religious beliefs, morality, government, literature, and the daily life, habits and amusements of all classes of people under the first Caesars.

The Corinthian Yacht Club has issued the following schedule of races for the season of 1888: June 16, pennant; June 30, first championship; July 7, club race; July 21, second championship; July 28, ladies' race; Aug. 11, open race; Aug. 18, cup race; Sept. 3, championship; Sept. 8, sail off. With its new house and the additions to the racing fleet, the club ought to have a most successful season.