University Crew.

The 'varsity crew rowed on the river Saturday afternoon in spite of the fact that the stiff wind made the water very rough. The boat was made up as follows: Stroke, Captain Perkins; 7, Kelton '93; 6, Vail '93; 5, Rantoul '92; 4. Powers '92; 3, Shaw '94; 2, Lynam M. S.; bow, Jones '92. C. F. Adams sat in the coxswain seat and coached the crew. Newell '94 has returned to college and is again training with the crew. On Saturday he and Watriss '92 went out in the pair-oar with Cobb '94 for coxswain. After a while Adams changed places with Cobb and during the rest of the afternoon coached the crew from the pair-oar. It was expected that Keyes '87 would be out to coach the men on Saturday, but he was unable to get here. He will probably begin coaching sometime this week, and will keep charge of the crew as long as possible.

Winthrop '91, who has been rowing at 5, was absent the last of the week, but will be back today. C. K. Cummings '93 is also expected to begin training again today.

Now that the crew has been rowing for more than a week in practically the same order it is possible to say something of their work and individual faults. As a whole the crew has improved materially since they began rowing on the river. The watermanship of the men is poor, naturally, the work in the tank being of very slight value in teaching this; the catch and recover are not effective, and the slide is not properly controlled. It is to the correction of these faults that the coaching is now especially directed.

Captain Perkins is setting a good stroke and is well backed by Kelton. These men both show the effect of last year's training and are the most finished and powerful oars in the boat.

Vail is doing well and improving steadily. He is not quick enough at the catch and is disposed to drop a little at full reach.

Rantoul does not get his oar into the water at full reach quickly enough and pulls his arms in too rapidly at the finish. Powers also has this last fault.

Shaw is not quick enough at the catch, carries his oar too deep, and kicks his slide back before throwing his shoulders on.

Lynam also kicks out his slide too soon and drops some at the full reach.

Jones rows in good form but he has not snap enough at the catch and like 2 and 3 is too quick with the slide.

While each man has his own particular fault to work over, the general crew work is good. The stroke is rapid and reliable, leaving the men at finish in excellent position to make the next stroke. This is due mainly to the fact that the men are driving the boat altogether with back and legs, and after breaking arms only a steady pressure is maintained to sweep the oar to the finish.