The Rowing Tank.

Yesterday afternoon the first trial of the tank was made by the candidates for the 'varsity crew. The following men rowed: Bow, S. Sanford, No. 2, R. F. Perkins; No. 3, A. J. Cumnock; No. 4, M. Longworth; No. 5, C. A. Hight; No. 6, J. R. Finlay; No. 7, J. P. Hutchison; stroke, R. F. Herrick. Mr. J. Storrow acted as coach.

The men began at the rate of twenty strokes to the minute, but they soon ran up to twenty-nine; this was found to bring a very heavy pressure upon the bow, as the flow of the circuitous current necessarily is much slower there than at the stern. To rectify this the blades of the bow oars will require larger bores. The outriggers were also defective in many respects, particularly those of 1, 5, 7, and 8, which were too high. It will probably be some time before everything is in perfect working order as chances for improvements cannot fail to be continually turning up.

The water in the tank stood about twenty-eight inches high, and seemed to flow with perfect freedom around the central partitions. As a whole the tank promises to be entirely successful and it is earnestly hoped that the crews will derive all the advantages from it which all the men in college expect them to.

The tank room is open to all members of the university while the crews are at work, but interference by conversation or otherwise with any member of the crew cannot be allowed.