Yale Letter.

The prevailing topic of discussion here just at present in the line of athletics is naturally the chances of the foot-ball team in the coming contest with Harvard and Princeton. The newspaper reports on the prospects of the eleven have in general reflected the sentiments of the college in regard to this question. There can be no possible doubt in the mind of anyone who has been a constant spectator at the practice games that with the material at hand only the most diligent work on the part of every member of the team will enable Yale to make a good showing in the championship games. The most glaring fault in the play of the team as a whole has been thus far a tendency to high tackling. Although a great improvement has been noticeable in the general play of the team in the last practice game with Wesleyan, it was not sufficient to warrant any great expectations, as the large score.

was due to the careless play of Wesleyan rather than to good work on the part of Yale. The blocking was good, but there was altogether too much fumbling and high tackling. The make-up of the team has not as yet been fully decided upon, but will probably comprise the following men with perhaps one or two changes: Rushers, Wallac (left end), Gill, Cross, Corbin (centre), Woodruff, Rhodes, Pratt (right end); quarter-back, Beecher; half-backs, Morrison, Graves, '88's; back, Graves, '91. Of these Wallace, Gill, Corbin, Woodruff, Beecher and Morrison were on last year's team. Cross was substitute on last year's crew and gives promise of being a valuable man. Rhodes is also a good man and although a good rusher, is not at all sure of his position. Pratt was a substitute last year. He gets through very well but in general tackles too high. Graves, '88 and Graves '91 are both new men and give promise of being valuable acquisitions to the team. They are both good runners and dodgers, but neither has acquired much proficiency in kicking the ball. Morrison who played half-back last year will play in the same position. He is a good kicker and a fair runner although slow in getting started. Besides those above mentioned Robinson, Wurtemburg, Clawson and one or two others have played at different times on the team in practice games.

The weakness of the team's play has been made painfully evident by the fact that in afternoon practice games the college side has already made two touchdowns against the University teams- something that has not happened before in years.

The fall races of the Yale navy were held on Lake Saltonstall last Saturday afternoon and were unusually successful. The first event was the single scull race of a mile and a half with turn for the Cleveland cup. This was won by Bushnell, 88, in 12 minutes and 10 seconds. The second event was the one-mile straight-away race between the Academic and Sheff. freshmen. This race has heretofore been rowed in six-oared barges, but this year a change was made to eight-oared shells. On the start, the Academic freshmen got the lead and maintained it to the end, winning in 5 minutes and 50 seconds by about two lengths and a half. The last race was one of the most exciting that has ever been rowed on the lake. It was the two-mile straight-away between the juniors and sophomores. For the first mile the crews kept well together, but just before the finish the sophomores spurted and crossed the line nearly a length ahead. Time, 11 minutes, 42 1-2 seconds.

Inter-collegiate tennis tournament, which was held on the New Haven club grounds last week, was the most successful ever held. The courts were in splendid condition and with the exception of the first day the weather was all that could be desired. The playing of Sears and Shaw, especially in the doubles, was perhaps the best ever seen here in an inter-collegiate tournament. We wish to extend our congratulations both to these gentleman and to the University for the splendid showing that Harvard made in the tournament.

YALE NEWS.