Lectures in the Classical Department.

A series of lectures on the Acropolis at Athens will be given next month by J. R. Wheeler, Ph. D., in the Jefferson Physical Laboratory. These lectures, intended principally for classical students, will be open to the public, and will presuppose a knowledge on the part of the hearers of common architectural terms such as are used in books descriptive of archaeology. The order in which the ruins of the Acropolis will be described, will be that of Pausanias, and special attention will be given to a historical continuity in the study of the monuments of Athens.

The first lecture, on Friday, Feb. 15, will be introductory and will consist of a description of the plain of Athens, and the position and nature of the hill of the Acropolis, together with a description of the part it has played during the different historical periods through which the city has passed.

The description of the ruins will be commenced in the second lecture on Monday, Feb. 18, and will run through the whole course of lectures, eight in number. At the lectures parts of Pausanias will be read and his description constantly referred to. The lectures will be given Monday and Friday afternoons from Friday, February 15th to March 11th, the date of the last lecture, in the Jefferson Physical laboratory at 4 o'clock.