The Law Review for December.

The December issue of the Harvard Law Review, which was received too late for notice before the Christmas recess, is as neat in appearance and as admirable in workmanship as its predecessors. The two leading articles are upon questions of law peculiarly interesting at the present day: one touching upon the clashing interests of manufacturers and of town water-works companies in the use of water in "great ponds"; the other treating of the liability of an employer for injuries done an employee through the carelessness of other employees. The first article is entitled "The Watuppa Paid Cases" and is contributed conjointly by Samuel D. Warren, jr., and Louis D. Brandeis. The decision of the Massachusetts court in the controversy between the town of Fall River and a number of manufacturers whose mills lie upon the Quequechan river, as to the right of the former to use the water of the Watuppa ponds, the source of the Quequechan, is reviewed and criticized. The article is notable for the carefulness and clearness of statement. The second article, "Statutory Changes in Employers' Liability," by Marland C. Hobbs, examines the origin of the common law doctrine of liability of employers, and traces the modifications wrought upon this doctrine by recent legislation in England and in some of the States. Among other things of interest in the present number is a communication from ex-Governor Hoadly of Ohio upon the subject of conditional pardon and of the parole system used in Ohio in mitigation of sentences.