Freshmen Elect a President.

The postponed meeting of the freshman class was held in Upper Massachusetts yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock. R. F. Herrick, '90 was chosen chairman of the meeting, and Mr. E. V. Morgan '90 was elected secretary protem by acclamation. Upon vote of the class the right to vote was granted to specials but not to men dropped from '92. A committee of four consisting of Strout '90, Lund '90, Hunt '92, and Batchelder '92, was appointed to count the ballots, and the class proceeded to a vote. The whole number of votes cast was 229; necessary to a choice, 115. B. W. Trafford of Fall River received 123 and G. A. Fearing of Newport received 106. Trafford was declared elected president amid enthusiastic cheering by the Exeter men.

Mr. J. H. Hunt then addressed the freshmen for a few moments and impressed upon them the necessity of encouraging their eleven by personal presence and active support. He said that they must play with much more vim and snap if they wished to beat the Yale freshmen. He suggested that a manager of the eleven be chosen, and Churchill, of Andover, was nominated for that position. Churchill resigned in favor of F. W. Moore of Andover who was elected by acclamation.

Mr. Herrick then suggested that a temporary captain of the crew to be chosen and the names of C. W. Keyes of Boston and D. O. Earle of Worcester were put in nomination. At first Mr. Herrick thought to find out the wish of the class by separating the Earle and Keyes men into two parties. But as this did not prove feasible a ballot was taken and the meeting adjourned. Upon counting the ballots in Mr. Herrick's room, it was found that Keyes had received 73 votes and Earle 119. Mr. Earle was therefore declared elected temporary captain of the crew.