The Late Elections in France.

Professor Cohn gave a very instructive lecture on the Late General Election in France last evening in Sever 11.

The election of last September was the most important since 1871. It was not merely a question whether Boulanger should be elected or not, but one of much deeper import. The republican government has been in office for about twenty years and the question was whether this form of government should remain. As the answer was doubtful before the election the republicans, to gain their ends, passed some laws which might be questioned. Boulanger had joined the royalists, and as it was the law that all the nominees should be voted for on one ballot this coalition was very strong. The royalists could help the ticket in their sessions and Boulanger in his. To destroy this coalition the Republicans passed two laws; first they divided the country into districts, such as we have in our states, and then they enacted that a candidate could not run for more than one district. To prevent his running a fine of 10,000 francs was set, and the returnees were given the power not to count the votes cast for him.

But these laws, which were mere matters of management, would not have gained the victory of the Republicans if the situation had not changed during the campaign. At the be ringing Boulanger was very popular, but he made two bad mistakes. One was his going to England, the other his running for councilor general. Besides these mistakes the republicans had sent strangers throughout France telling the peasants the true situation of affairs. The peruses - as well as political faults of Boutanger were shown so distinctly to the people that they lost all their respect for him. This was the real cause of the republican victory. But the victory is one of great credit to the republican party for instead of joining with Boulanger and making their election sure, but giving him a chance to obtain his personal objects, they chose to give the country a chance to choose for themselves. But still the people are not entirely satisfied with the republicans. Ever since they have held power they have been instituting changes in all the departments of Frencs life. The people are getting tired of these changes but the only way to stop them is to oust the republicans and form a new conservative party which shall respect the Catholic church and follow the wishes of the people.