New Handbook of Developing Exercise.

Dr. Sargent has prepared a new and more complete Handbook of Developing Exercise to be used in connection with his system of physical examinations and charts. The first part of the book contains a number of hygienic rules based on the author's long experience. General directions are given in regard to exercise, diet, sleep, air, bathing, clothing, and the use of chestweights, which will be useful to everyone. Under each heading are given in addition special directions to be prescribed according to the characteristics of the individual. Four courses on the chestweights are described, comprising sixty-seven exercises, under each of which is an account of the position, movement, and muscles brought into play and spaces for perscriptions as to weights, times, and rate per minute. The exercises on the treadle, bridle, stirrup, traveling parallels, inclined planes, lifting machine, chest developer and expander, traveling bar, finger machine, giant pulley, high and low pulleys, and nineteen other machines are described in the same complete manner. Each exercise is illustrated. The great value of the book lies in its adaptability to every individual pecuriarity. When filled out by Dr. Sargent's system it is a complete hygienic guide. The book is on sale at the book stores like other text books, or it may be obtained at the director's office in the gymnasium.