The Century Magazine in 1890.

During 1890 The Century Magazine (whose recent successes have included the famous "War Papers.' the Lincoln History and George Kennan's series n "Siberia and the Exile System") will publish the long looked for Autobiography of Joseph Jefferson, whose "Rip Van Winkle" has made his name a household word. No more interesting record of a life upon the stage could be laid before the public. Mr. Jefferson is the fourth in a generation of actors, and, with his wife and grandchildren, there are six generations of actors among the Jeffersons. His story of the early days of the American stage, when as a boy, travelling in his father's company, they would settle down for a season in a western town, playing in their own extemporized theatre-the the particulars of the creation of his famous "Rip Van Winkle." how he acted "Ticket-of-Leave Man" before an audience of that class in Australia etc., all this enriched with illustrations and portraits of contemporary actors and actresses, and with anecdotes will form one of the most delightful serials The Century has ever printed.

Amelia E. Barr, Frank R, Stockton, Mark Twain, H. H. Boyesen and many other well known writers will furnish the fiction for the new volume, which is to be unusually strong, including several novels, illustrated novelettes, and short stories. "The Women of the French Salons" are to be described in a brilliant series of illustrated papers. The important discoveries made with the great Lick Telescope at San Francisco (the largest telescope in the world) and the latest explorations relating to prehistoric America (including the famous Serpent Mound, of Ohio) are to be chronicled in The Century.

Professor George P. Fisher of Yale university is to write a series on "The Nature and Method of Revelation," which will attract every Bible student. Bishop Potter of New York will be one of several prominent writers who are to contribute a series of "Present-day Papers" on living topics, and there will be art papers, timely articles, etc., etc., and the choicest pictures that the greatest artists and engravers can produce.

Every bookseller, postmaster, and subscription agent takes subscriptions to The Century, ($4.00 a year), or remittance may be made directly to the publishers, The Century Co., of New York. Begin new subscriptions with November (the first issue of the volume) and get Mark Twain's story, "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court," in that number.