Clark University.

The new University at Worcester, Mass., enters upon its first year of work this fall. It is not known how many students will avail themselves of the opportunities offered by this new university, but the number will probably be large. The main building is now ready for occupancy, while work on the chemical laboratory is being rapidly pushed forward to completion. The plans as originally laid out, call for a quadrangle with laboratories and dormitories on every Saturday. The other building will not, however, be raised until the increased needs of the university demand them. Mr. S. Stanley Hall has received the appointment of president. It is popularly supposed that Dr. Warren P. Lombard, a graduate of Harvard in the class of '87 and of the medical school of '81, will be appointed to the professorship of physiology. Dr. Lombard has made this study a specialty and will study in Europe before undertaking his work at Clark. Aside from these men nothing is known as to the other appointments, the directors seeming to desire the public to be kept in ignorance of the public to be kept in ignorance of the plans of this new institution.