The Harvard Annex.

ANNUAL REPORT OF THE SECRETARY.

From the advance sheets of Secretary Gilman's annual report of the Society for the Collegiate Education of Women, we are able to give a summary of the work of the society last year. There were 115 students distributed into fifty five classes; and directed by forty-one professors and instructors of Harvard college. During the ten years there has been a steady growth in the work, as shown by the increase in the number of students. In 1879-80 there were twenty-five students; the tuition fees amounted to $3. 725.00, and the instructors received $5, 171.00. Last year with 115 students, the tuition fees amounted to $15.410.69, and the instructors received $14,575.00.

Thirty-two of the students were during the tenth year enrolled in the four undergraduate classes. Nine were freshmen, seven were sophomores, eleven belonged to the junior class, and five were seniors. To the members of the senior class certificates were awarded at the close of the year, certifying that they had during the previous year "pursued a course of study equivalent in amount and quality to that for which the degree of Bachelor of Arts is conferred in Harvard college," and had "passed in a satisfactory manner examinations on that course corresponding to the college examinations." At the same time, on the recommendation of the Committee of Classical Instructors of Harvard college, certificates were given to one candidate for final honors in classics, and to two candidates for second year honors in classics.

The number of schools and colleges in which the graduates find opportunities for work is increasing every year. Several have found positions in New York city, and it is doubtless in some degree owing to that fact that the number of candidates for the Harvard examinations for women in that city has materially increased.

The social element grows among the students from year to year. The apartments of Fay house are, indeed, too restricted to allow of as much congregation under its roof as may be thought desirable, but the accommodation is made the most of, and the spirit of fellowship is greater at present than at any other time. The Idler club and the Emmanuel society are among the means of bringing the students often together in a familiar way. To those the English club has lately been added. It is intended "to arouse an interest in the study of English," and specifically to give an opportunity for the discussion of topics suggested in the various English courses, and for reading of the best literary work of the students. Membership is confined to those who have been assigned to a high grade by their instructors.

The usual instruction has been obtained during the year without difficulty. The professors of Harvard college still offer their services freely, and the members of the faculty in the different departments interest them selves in making each course of study full and well balanced. The college library has been used to even a greater extent than usual during the year, and the librarian and his assistants have offered the students many advantages in carrying on their work. The reference library has increased through the influence of the library committee, and by the generosity of friends, and it now numbers 2893 volumes, many of which are of great value-an increase of 677 volumes. A number of books have been given to the library during the year, notably a collection of German and French books which came in two large boxes from an unknown source.