DOCUMENTS

accompanying a letter sent by the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports of Harvard University to the Faculty-Committee on Out-Door Sports of Princeton College, Dec. 18, 1889.

1. Letter of Mr. Miller to the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports.

PRINCETON, NOV. 27, 1889.

TO CHAIRMAN OF THE COMMITTEE

ON ATHLETICS IN THE FACULTY

OF HARVARD UNIVERSITY:

We respectfully submit herewith a statement of the Princeton football management, in regard to the status of the foot ball team representing Princeton College.

On such statement, the weight and authority of which will at once be evident to you, we respectfully request that a public retraction be made by the Harvard Football management of the charges that have been made against our team.

Very respectfully, F. S. MILLER, PRESIDENT P. U. F. B. A.

We furnish also herewith a portion of certain evidence, in our possession, affecting the Harvard team, which we hope may also be considered by you in the interest of college athletics.

2. Evidence furnished by the officers of the Princeton Football Association.

EVIDENCE.In support of our statement that the Harvard Management have offered pecuniary assistance to players, we submit the following evidence. First, a letter from a member of last year's eleven.

"ENGLEWOOD, N. J., NOV. 25, 1889.

TO PRES. P. U. F. B. A.,

DEAR SIR: Messrs. Sears and Cumnock speaking to the Andover Team last fall, offered any man who would come to Harvard and get on their team, their expenses paid through college. I, myself, was absent, but was told by members of our Team, one of whom is now playing on Harvard's team.

SMITH MOWRY."

Also a written statement of R. S. Ammerman of the University of Penusylvania, dated Nov. 25, 1889, as follows:

"Inducements of the character mentioned, a scholarship and pecuniary compensation, a ticket to Boston, etc, were extended to me by a Harvard man early in November to enter the Law School at Harvard and become a member of the Harvard Nine and Football eleven."

Also an extract from a letter of L. D. Mowry, a former Andover player:

"Upton told me that Sears and Cumnock told him and for that matter the whole Andover team that it would not cost them a cent if they would go to Harvard and get on the Team. Joe Dennison told me that Sears said that if he would try for the Team and get on he would see that it did not cost him (J. D.) anything, if it cost Harvard five hundred dollars ($500) it would be all right. They would stand the cost."

Also in a private letter of Mr. Upton's explaining his not coming to Princeton, he says:

"This particular letter is not on hand at present writing, but can be obtained and forwarded."

Further, without stating the evidence concerning Mr. Dean's trip to Europe on the Spalding base ball team, which is probably as well known to you as it is to us. We recommend his case for your consideration.

In addition to this the following letter was received by Captain Ames last spring from Mr. Stickney, who played on the Harvard Eleven this fall. We understand that the Yale Management was similarly approached by this player:

"CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 11, '89.

Mr. AMES,

DEAR SIR: I have been thinking of late of going to Princeton to College. I am tutoring now at Cambridge, with the idea of entering Harvard, and Cumnock thinks I am going to enter sure next year, but they don't seem to want to do much for me. Now I have to have help wherever I go. I saw Bruny Willard the other day and he wanted me to write you he thinks P. is the place to go I have played fast [foot?] ball at Exeter for two years no doubt you have heard of me while I was there I would like to see you and have a talk with you and I take this way of doing it I sold athletic goods while in Exeter and thought it might pay me to take a line of Tennis and Baseball goods etc., and come down there and see you and perhaps make something. Now I would like to start Monday night and get there Tuesday morning April 16. Now if you could inform me by Te egraph (at my expense) where I could show up my goods at the best advan tage and have a little add in the college paper to this office [effect?] that I would be at such a place next Tuesday and Wednesday with a line of English tennis goods baseball and athletic goods of all kinds-it would be a great help to me; let me hear from you as soon as you get this and oblige,

Resp. Yours, H. O. STICKNEY.

NO. 8 Boylston St., Cambridge, Mass.

P. S.- If you think it would be better for me to wait until Friday and Saturday let me know. STICKNEY."

3. Letter of Mr. Ames in Reply to Mr. Stickney.

(Printed above, section 4.)

4. Letter of Mr. Cumnock:

CAMBRIDGE, Dec. 7, 1889.

Professor J. W. WHITE,

DEAR SIR:- I have examined the evidence submitted by Princeton. In answer I say without reservation that I never made any such statements as are there ascribed to me, to members of the Andover team or to any persons at any time. I have never made any offer of pecuniary aid to any person, to become or to remain a member of the Harvard team, and such offers have not to my knowledge been made by any member of the Harvard Football Association. Moreover. Mr. Sears and I did not go to Andover "in the fall," but in March, and did not see the team but only three members of it, one of whom announced that he was going to Yale, to be with a brother; another that he was going to Harvard. We were in Andover less than two hours, and were together the whole time. The whole charge is false and without foundation from beginning to end.

Yery truly yours, ARTHUR J. CUMNOCK.5. Letter of Mr. Upton:

CAMBRIDGE, Dec. 7, 1889.

Professor J. W. WHITE,

DEAR SIR:- I did not state to Mr. L. D. Mowry or to any other person that money offers of any kind had been made to me or to other members of the Andover team. No such offers have ever been made to me by Captain Sears, Captain Cumnock, or any other person, either before entering college or since. Last summer, on the invitation of several Princeton men, I went to Cape May and played on a baseball team. There were seven Princeton men and one University of Pennsylvania man, besides myself. We all received our board and an allowance for incidental expenses, but were not paid for our services. I never have received money for engaging in athletics.

Respectfully yours, J. D. UPTON.

6. Letter of Mr. Dennison.

50 COLLEGE HOUSE.

MY DEAR PROFESSOR AMES,-I am in receipt of the extract of Mr. Lew Morey's letter to the authorities of Princeton College in which he says:

"Joe Dennison told me that Sears said that if he would try for the Team and get on he would see that it would not cost him (J. D.) anything, if it cost Harvard $500, it would be all right. They would stand the cost."

The extract is false from beginning to end. I cannot even imagine the source of Mr. Mowry's authority. I never held any conversation with him in which I gave utterance to the foregoing quotation and was never offered any inducement to play on the team either by Mr. Sears, captain eleven in '88, or anybody else. I shall write to Mr. Mowry and will advise you of the result of the correspondence.

With the greatest respect, JOSEPH A. DENNISON.

Cambridge Dec. 6. 1889.

7. Letter of Mr. Stickney to Professor Ames.

(Vide Section 4.)

8. Letter of Mr. Ammerman, published in the Philadelphia Press on Nov. 26, 1889.

PHILADELPHIA. NOV. 25, 1889.

To the Editor of the Press: SIR-A statement recently appeared in New York and Philadelphia papers in which it was alleged that certain inducements had been extended to me by a prominent Harvard base ball official to enter the Harvard Law School and play on the Harvard base ball nine and football eleven. Though the name of Linn of the Harvard nine was not mentioned he has seen fit to deny that overtures were made by him. Under the existing circumstances, therefore, it seems desirable to state the existing hasis of the statement in the papers. Inducements of the character mentioned-a scholarship and pecuniary compensation, a ticket to Boston, etc., were extended to me by a Harvard man early in November to enter the Harvard Law School and become a member of the Harvard baseball nine and football eleven. The gentleman in question was not Captain Linn nor am I able to give the official connection with the Harvard association of the gentleman who approached me. However, the overtures were made and my reply at the time was as has already been stated, and I take no interest in college athletics, and would not under any consideration engage in athletics for emoluments or under conditions other than those of personal enjoyment.

Very respectfully, R. S. AMMERMAN.