Annual Report of the Law School.

The annual report submitted by Dean Langdell of the Law School, and published in President Eliot's recent report, contains many interesting facts, especially concerning the attendance at the school. About a dozen tables have been compiled, the first of which shows the attendance for the past eighteen years. The whole number of students has increased from 165 in 1870-71 to 225 in 1887-88.

The next table shows the School as divided into classes since the establishment of the three-years' course. There has been a constant tendency for students to remain through the whole course, as is proved by a third-year class of 33 in 1887-88 out of 55 who entered, against only 21 in 1879-80 out of 72 who entered.

The other tables of special interest exhibit the number of students who entered the school during the last eighteen years, and how many were graduates of Harvard, how many of other colleges, and how many nongraduates; the students since 1877-78 classified according to the states and countries from which they came; college graduates in the school since 1870-81 classified according to their states and countries; and college graduates classified by colleges If the students in the Law School are divided into graduates of Harvard, those of other colleges, and non-graduates, the first group alone seems to be governed by any law in respect to increase or diminution of numbers. The number of non-graduates has ranged from 22 to 52. It seems on the whole to be on the decline, although at its highest mark this year. No less than 124 different colleges have sent graduates to Harvard to study law, but not one has maintained an annual average of even three. Yale leads the list with an average of two. It appears that the number of students belonging to this group has diminished since the establishment of the three-years' course; but that it has reached its lowest point and is now on the increase. It is only in students of the first division, namely, graduates of Harvard, that there has been a growth in numbers. In this group the increase has been great, but not more so than that of the college classes.

The greatest as well as the most important growth in the School during the past eighteen years is not to be found in the attendance, but in the length of time students have remained.

Among the foreign countries which have sent students to the Law School are: Japan, 7; Hawaiian Islands, 3; England, 2; France, 2; Prussia, 1; New Brunswick, 44; Nova Scotia, 24; Cape Breton, 6; and Prince Edward Island, 3.