Foot-ball Championship.

The following article was published as an editorial in a late issue of the Princetonian:

"We have spoken before, and we take this opportunity to speak again, of the false statements which have appeared in many papers regarding the records of championships in the foot-ball league. The errors have come largely from ungrounded claims made in the Yale papers, and it will be strange if at the meeting of Yale men to celebrate Yale's success in athletics, tomorrow night, such claims will not be still more recklessly put forth. We have shown repeatedly how false and misleading these claims are, especially in the form in which they are circulated, but we have not been able to prevent the acceptance of them by college papers and the general public which have had no way to test the truth of them. We repeat again the true record. Princeton won the games of '73, '78, and '85. Yale won the games of '76, '82, '83, '87, and '88. There were no games in '74, and '75. The games of '77, '79, 80, '81, '84, and '86 were drawn. It is shown here that Princeton has held the championship since 73, nine times, or since '77, when the league was founded, six times; while Yale has held it since '73, seven times, and since '77, five times. It has always been agreed that if in any year the issue should be a tie, the college which held the championship the year before should retain it. These facts should be well known and we should be satisfied if every one knew them, but as long as the record is distorted as it has been, the truth cannot be known. We recall and repeat the suggestion made some time ago that the graduate committee settle the record and publish the decision as authoritative and final."