Economic Training for Women.

If women are to be given the right to vote, they ought certainly to be given instructions which will fit them to perform their duties as citizens. Naturally a knowledge of American institutions and of American history is of the first consequence, yet we find but scanty provision for instruction in these two subjects. In two out of fourteen selected colleges for women, it was found that American history had no assigned place; in three, one course in it is given; in four, two courses; in three, three courses, and in two, Cornell and Michigan, four courses. "In eight of the fourteen institutions referred to there is no study of American institutions, except incidentally for purposes of illustration. Courses in political economy are offered in all; in many American topics hold the leading place; in others they scarcely enter, the subject being treated from the theoretic and general side.

The only special training for citizenship that our colleges can give must be found in these departments of history and economics, and the need of this training becomes more and more evident as our national problems become more intricate and more clearly problems to be solved by students and not by enthusiasts. The value of such training for women becomes more and more evident as their opinion and judgment are now being so rapidly brought to bear upon public questions.