The Monthly for February.

With the February issue of the Monthly, the seventh volume of this publication is brought to a close. As we look back over the five numbers which are comprised in the volume, we come readily to the conclusion that the editors of the magazine deserve the hearty congratulations of all Harvard men for the success they have met in their endeavors to stimulate the literary work of the students. In one respect the editors of this volume have surpassed their predecessors. namely, in the editorials which have been written, first, to protest against abuses which have grown up under our system; and, second, to foster a better spirit between the faculty and students by means of the removal of misunderstandings. In its editorials the Monthly has fulfilled the duty of a college publication.

The seventh volume is lamentably weak in verse. The February number does not contain a line of poetry. While we regret the absence of verse, we accept it as evidence that the Monthly intends to keep its standard high and to reject contributions which are not worthy of publication.

Mr. T. C. Williams contributes to the February number a sketch of Bokhara. It is a story of the reform of the affairs of the Persian kingdom by the Emir, who was called the "Father of the Wise." To turn the thoughts of his people from sordidness to the knowledge of higher things, the Emir hit upon the "Sand Plain of Bokhara." a City of Truth to the dwelling-place of sages from every nation. In this way was inaugurated the celebrated school of Bokhara.

"The Hunting at Rossness" by Mr. Bates is a tragic tale of the days of the clans in Scotland. The narrative is smooth and effective, though it lacks gracefulness of language. The interest of the story increases rapidly to the death of the Earl.

Mr. Herrick contributes a translation from the French of M. Guy de Manpassant. He well portrays the depth of meaning in the few chosen pages of the author.

"A Letter on Literary Criticism" from the pen of Mr. G. R. Carpenter is one of the most valuable articles which have appeared in the Monthly. It is a study of the laws of criticism with an estimate of the influences of Saints Beuve upon Matthew Arnold. The writer's words impress upon us the dignity of the work of the true critic. The thoughts of Mr. Carpenter deserve to be taken to heart.

Mr. Warren's story, "A Bit of Official Tragedy," is unlike most of the articles contributed to the Monthly, but it is worthy of space in the magazine. It is a serious story of human life. The writer depicts with great sincerity the awful influence disappointments and Jesertion may exert upon human passion. The tale is told in a simple manner and the artistic effect is increased by a careful avoidance of all vulgarity.