Mr. F. F. Dole on Athletics.

The last Phillipian contains a short article on the benefits of athletic training. The material of the article is gained from an interview with Mr. F. F. Dole, the well-known trainer, who formerly had charge of the gymnasium at Andover. Particular stress is laid on the fact that weak men may become strong athletes, and as an example of the effect of athletic training upon men who were not naturally strong, two cases are cited. One of them is Wallace, Yale's end rush. who according to Mr. Dole was a slight, nervous fellow, hollow-chested and an inveterate smoker. At that time Mr. Dole was in charge of the gymnasium and could compel them to take exercise, and Wallace, becoming interested in his work, took up athletics in earnest and persevered until he gained his present reputation as an athlete.

The other man who is mentioned as an example of what men naturally weak can accomplish, is Page, the jumper. When young, Mr. Page was extremely fragile, and his limbs were so weak that they had to be supported. This infirmity he outgrew and overcame and at the time of his entering the University of Pennsylvania, could jump a little over five feet. From this point, constant practice and perseverance bore their fruits and Mr. Page is now champion of the world in the running high jump with a record of six feet four inches. The article is closed by the following paragraph:

"Dr. Sargent's article on athletics tends to discourage men of unsymmetric form from athletics; but Mr. Dole says that no particular heed should be paid to whether your form is perfect or not. You want to make it so if it is not. Begin with this object, and keep on, and you will in time find yourself an athlete, big, brawny and strong."