Mr. Thayer's Lecture.

Yesterday afternoon, in Sever 11, Mr. Thayer gave a short talk on journalism, in place of the usual lecture in English B, and his remarks derived additional interest from the fact that he spoke from actual experience, having been connected with a large newspaper in Philadelphia for nearly four years. Mr. Thayer stated that although what he had to say had no direct bearing on English B, yet he hoped it would prove of value, not only to those of his hearers who intended to enter journalism, but to all who wished to gain some idea of how a newspaper is conducted. He then gave a concise account of the different departments of a newspaper and how the news is collected.

Two things Mr. Thayer deplores in the journalism of today-journalistic conceit, and irresponsibility as to the truth of published reports. His advice to those who intend to enter the profession is to pay particular attention to Political Economy, History, and modern literature while in college, and after entering a newspaper office to expect neither large pay nor speedy advancement, but to be content to work up slowly.